Thursday, January 9, 2014

Coffe and cocoa rubbed ribs and Spicy Slaw

So I finally had time to explore the 21 Day Sugar Detox cookbook. I'm on my 2nd round of the detox and it definitely helps that there are more recipes available. 

I made the banana chia seed oatmeal, kombucha gelatin, sweet potato flatbread, crust less quiche, the ribs and the spicy slaw. 

The ribs were pretty good. I bought the meat from Costco and they were Costco proportions. I didn't get a chance to marianade the ribs overnight so I the rub was marinating for 3.5 hours. I cooked them in the oven for 2.5 hours and it was so juicy (and I was so hungry) that I didn't even grill or broil them. 

I also wanted a side dish to accompany my ribs and decided to try for the spicy slaw. I decided to try the wet chopping on my vitamix since I've never done it before. The 1st attempt was a fail- I had a cabbage mush. The 2nd attempt was much better! I like spicy things so I decided to put 2 tbsp of the chili garlic paste and boy did it have a kick to it! I decided not to add the jalepeƱos and I don't like onions so I didn't include those items. I used tahini for my nut butter. I probably couldn've used a little more tahini but the slaw was still good. 

On another note, the sweet potato flatbread was good except for the fact I forgot to add the gelatin! And my kombucha gelatin looked like my SCOBY. I let the gelatin cool down too much before pouring the rest of the liquid in so it was a mess. Next time around, I think these will turn out better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment